Thursday, April 2, 2009

PR Pass: Group SJR scores a three-pointer (from a reader)

Reader Julie sent me this one:

Hi Maisie,
I love it! I used to get so annoyed by bad pitches, but it's gotten much better for me since I posted a policy on my blog about PR. Now, for the most part, I get pretty good pitches, such as this one I'm sending in. I wanted to send it to show an example of a good pitch. I think it's a good one because it's clearly a good fit for me and my blog---it shows that Nina from Group SJR did her homework: she highlighted the section of the Better World Books Web site that fits my kids' ages (versus teen or adult books) and she knows that this product (green) will appeal to me. Most importantly, she sells the concept to me in her opening. I can't tell you how many PR people think all you need is a product name and statement of opportunity---and forget the most important thing: they have to sell to me FIRST, if I'm going to sell the idea to my readers! So here's what a good pitch looks like, and I added in my comments (but you'll have to format them your way, and I put the links alongside the text):

Hi Julie,

If you're researching ways parents can easily green up their lifestyle or gear up for baby's arrival in an eco-friendly way, I hope you'll consider telling your readers about green online book reseller Better World Books. Moms and Dads can stock their kid’s room or nursery's bookshelf with "Where the Wild Things Are," Paddington, etc. while at the same time:

- Diverting books from landfills (buying used is the best kind of recycling - and so far BWB has spared over 6,000 TONS from 'fills.)
- Offsetting shipping environmental costs with carbon offsets from CarbonFund.org
- Avoiding an SUV ride to the local Barnes & Noble for a "virgin pulp" new hardback

(Nina has really sold this idea to me. It's green, it's good, it's appealing to me, probably of interest to my readers, and includes top selling points.)


And as if that wasn't enough, here are some other bonuses:

- BWB books are up to 80% cheaper than new ones
- Shipping is free!
- Better World shares its revenues with important literacy groups like Books for Africa

(Now Nina has answered my potential practical questions and shared another nugget about charitable donations. More appealing.)

So by shopping on BetterWorldBooks.com, a mom will be doing something good for the environment, teaching her children to reuse resources when possible, and helping another child somewhere in the world learn to read to boot. A ripple of effect of good—all because she decided to ‘green’-up a bit!

(There's the angle, tone and quotable text. All very useful.)

Let me know if I can provide you with any more details about Better World Books. Looking forward to hearing from you!

(I sent questions and she followed up promptly and professionally. Instead of just doing a blurb, I did a full out interview and promotion.)

All the best,

Nina Stricker

Group SJR

(This was probably one of the best PR pitches I've ever gotten.)

No comments:

Post a Comment