Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Either some PR professionals are listening, or they are just uber talented

I admit when I opened this PR pitch I was already rolling my eyes. The subject was less than enticing, "Does Maisie have THE CUTEST KID?" Also I had just read through a string of annoying pitches, including one that wanted me to run a completely inappropriate "news" article about their little event. So when I tell you this was a well-done pitch, you should know that I had to make a total mind turnaround and that it was really a really good pitch.

What made it good?

#1: TARGETING APPROPRIATELY

I don't know if I can emphasize that enough!

If you blanket a pitch to every address for a blogger that you have, you've failed. Go back to postcards in the mail.

#2: PERSONALIZATION

Send the right pitch to the right blogger, and they will in turn reach out to the right audience for you.

That's how you use social media marketing.

#3: ALL INCLUSIVE INFORMATION with the BIG SELL to me and all info I need

As bad as this might sound, don't make me think. Brevity is the soul of wit and good pitches, but too brief and you don't sell this to me or make it easy for me to pass it along. I need the who, what, where, when why and how, as this pitch includes.

So let's dissect this pitch (this time my comments are italics):

Dear Maisie,

I have been in contact with you before about Parents Magazine 'Cutest Daddy Contest', and now we have something else in the works. By the way I love your latest post, [insert sincere comment here that references my actual last post and details within it, proving this person at least honestly scanned my most recent post. That, for the record, is a PASS!] :)

Anyways getting back to my point here......

You and your readers can upload up to six photos for the Parents magazine cover contest. This year Parents has two age categories for entries: Parents Magazine Cover Contest (3 mos - 2 yrs) and Parents Magazine Cover Contest (2 - 6 yrs). The two cutest kid winners will appear on the dual cover of the November 2009 issue.

[This is SUBJECT MATTER APPROPRIATE for my mommy blog. Me and my readers are moms, we all take photos and some of us are avid photography hobbyists. Plus, in general, we like Parents Magazine. This sounds like fun. Also sounds like something my readers will be interested in.]

Once photos are uploaded, you can use a template to create your own Parents magazine cover featuring your own cute child, and you and your readers will automatically be entered into a cash sweepstakes that will award a $10,000 cash prize to a lucky winner. The deadline for entries is June 24. To thank you for helping us spread the word about the Parents cover contest, Parents.com’s Goody Blog will link back to your site at the end of the contest.

[Okay that's cool. We can create a little cover, so even if we don't win, we get to do something fun. Ooh and link love. That adds value for me. Plus, little to no work because this pitch clearly explains where to go, what to do, and why you want to do it.]

I’m attaching some photos of last year’s contest winner, if you want to include them in your blog post. Please let me know if you would like anything else.

[Includes visuals with permission to use, plus HA we see what they like, which helps when we choose. Good!]

Best regards,

Sergei Fyodorov
for Parents.com

[Well done, Sergei. Well done. You should teach a class...or let us in on the secret of the class you attended.]

No comments:

Post a Comment