Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Major Marketing #FAIL

So every now and again (okay regularly), as we all do, I get these pitches from PR firms telling me it behooves me to promote their product---uncompensated--on my blog. I'm iffy enough about it 99.9% of the time, but won't do it unless I LOVE the product already or it pays/compensates and I love it. So that means 99.9% of the time I read the pitches & click delete.

So yesterday one of the PR flacks sends me a SHAME ON YOU---YOU NEVER REPLIED note to me.

She's asking me to promote fabric softener (when I strive for green products) and put up widgets on my blog and tell others to grab the widgets and write up the fabric softener for...a $2 off coupon---for the readers, not me! I don't even remember the original pitch---it was while I was out of town so I probably barely skimmed and deleted.

I'm reading through email the morning, trying to catch up, and I find this "I wrote to you last week and never heard back, so I wanted to remind you about your opportunity to write about blah blah blah..."

Excuse me?

She's CHASTISING me for IGNORING an unsolicited pitch about her product that benefits me NONE?

WTF...the nerve.

I wrote back politely and said, "I do sell ad space on my blog and I am for hire as a web content creator or copywriter. If you would like to buy space or discuss my freelance rates, I'd be very glad to talk about that.

As for not replying, please understand that I receive many requests to advertise products for free on my blog or do free/uncompensated reviews and promotions. Because this is how I earn my living---even if they are great products----I'm unable to reply to all requests of that nature."

GAH...these people, some never learn.

We need a wall of shame---by which I really mean a divided wall of "this is bad" and "this is good" for these people to refer to. And...i need to let this go LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment